Sunday, July 31, 2016

Why Write Detective


It's simple. I have always loved old black-and-white detective movies.  What's not to love about The Thin Man series or the Bogart movies like The Big Sleep, The Maltese Falcon, and High Sierra?  Easily, one of my favorites was The Third Man with Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles.  Another favorite of mine was Out of the Past with Robert Mitchum.  As a teenager, I read Mickey Spillane, Ross MacDonald, Raymond Chandler, Earle Stanley Gardner, Rex Stout, and a host of other detective novelists.  I read lesser-known writers also like Brett Halliday (Davis Dresser), Day Keene (Gunnar Hjerstedt), and Octavus Roy Cohen whose cheap novels featured sexy women on the covers. I would find the books gathering dust in used bookstores or boxes at garage sales, often free or for a nickel or two.   A few years ago, I decided to start my own detective series because, to be honest, I missed the enjoyment of having these guys and gals in my head stumbling upon one murder after another.

My series is called The Cajun PI and you can find him in Mysterical-E: http://mystericale.com/current-issue/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prologue: The Three Indians

Prologue: The Three Indians The frozen winter wind rattled the windows of our shack. We all sat in a semi-circle around the fireplace. My...